Monday, May 25, 2009

2009 LA Marathon & Memorial Day

Date: May 25, 2009
Location: Downtown LA
Start: 7:20am
Goal: Sub 4-hours
Finish: 4:06:38

Well today I ran my second marathon in one month. I've never done that before. I have to admit that it wasn't as much fun as I had thought. It was really hard but I am happy with the time I got because it was somewhat close to my last time. I didn't have any expectations going into this since I didn't think I would be able to cut more time from my previous time. My sisters came out to support me. Sister J cheered me on somewhere along the course, I cannot remember where...hahaha! She even made a sign for me! I felt so inspired when I saw her running and calling my name with the sign. Thanks Sister J! Sister S and Sister K had carbo dinner with me the night before and then woke up at the butt crack of dawn to come and meet me at the start and then at the finish line. You guys are wonderful! Biking M was also there meeting me at many mile points to give me endurolyte pills, sport drinks and support. He rode his bike with me from miles 22 to 24 when I thought I was going to die. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life. I missed my sisters not running with me today but I always run on their behalves when they are not there. I think last years marathon was the most fun for me since they were all there. Maybe one day it will happen again. Overall, it was a great day for a run. It was over casted but kinda humid and started to get warm towards the middle of the day. Being May it could have been way worse. I think the new marathon owner did a really good job organizing this event. There was lots of water and gatorade along the course. Also, oranges, bananas and vaseline. At the final 5, there was even Emerald nuts. The only think is that this years medal is rectangle and not circle. The old medals were so so much better. I am sad but I am going to write them and ask that they bring the old design back for next year. There is a very interesting article about Frank M. and the LA Marathon in the Sunday LA Times paper in the Sports section about Frank's vision for a future LA Marathon route from Dodger Stadium to the ocean. Now that would be super cool. I will run this marathon again next year. Organizers did a great job!

Before the start with Sister S and Sister K.


With my on-course support crew!


 At the finish line!




**********************************************************************************
Breakfast - 5:00 am
Pasta from last night's dinner
4 scoops of Driven mixed w/ water
2 Endurolyte pills

LA Marathon - 7:20am - Downtown LA
3 Accel gels and 1 Hammer gel
Gatorade and 1 slice of orange
Endurolyte pills

Lunch - 2:00pm
1 banana and 1 sample size chocolate chip Clif bar
2 oz steak, iceberg lettuce salad w/ tomato in balsamic dressing
1/4 cup chili
1 bit of granola cookie
couple of almonds

Snack - 6:00pm - Thach Che Hien Khanh - Westminster
1 fake pomergrante che drink
1 piece of sponge cake

Snack - 8:00pm
1 cup strawberries
1 boiled egg white

1 comment:

Eats Durian said...

Haha I think your pace for 26 miles is faster than my one mile speed. Maybe I will do it again someday but i'm very wary! Haha