Friday, May 27, 2011

My Skin Routine or Lack of

I have to admit I am somewhat of a tomboy when it comes to cosmetics, clothes, shoes, etc. It is an extremely rare day when my clothes match or I have makeup on or am having a good hair day. I am always on the look out for the next big thing to make getting "prettied-up" easier. I guess for the most part, I care very little about how I present myself on the outside. I know, what a terrible thing to say but it is true. A few things comes to mind as to why I am this way.

First, growing up, my mom was really strict when it came to us girls putting on makeup and wearing anything short or low cut. She was of the school of thought that proper girls did not wear cosmetics, perfume or anything that showed skin. This is understandable, except by the time I went off to college, I still didn't know how to put on my own makeup. I barely knew how to properly dress myself for class without my mom being there telling me what was appropriate and what was not to wear in public. I must find that photo of me where I did my own makeup for the first time for a college dance. Travesty. You should know that I currently own tons of perfume, cosmetics and clothes. Why? I don't know, because I am an adult now and I can. It doesn't matter that I still don't really know how to put on makeup. Details!

Second, this one is not as good as the first reason but for the most part, I am lazy! That's right, I am too lazy to blow dry my hair, put on mascara or even match my clothes on any given day. Sure I could spend an extra 5-10 minutes getting ready so that I could look more put together but I find that tedious and unnecessary. To be honest, I wish I could live in my workout clothes and never have to put on makeup again. If you ask my sisters, they will tell you that for the most part, I already do this, whenever I can get away with it. Every new year, I would vow to change my ways and spend more time grooming myself only to fail a month into it. This year, I didn't even try. See? It wasn't even on my resolutions list.

Yet despite all this, I was looking at my bathroom the other day and noticed that I had a lot of beauty products in there. For someone who didn't really care about the way I looked, I could easily open a store with all the beauty products I had in there. I guess you can say that I am more concerned about the bathing process than the makeup/getting dress process. Because I exercise almost everyday, I bathe at least twice a day. So I know a lot when it comes to getting squeaky clean. Here are some of the things that I am currently using and love.

Let's start with the face. This is the face cleanser that I've been using for a year now. I actually discovered it while packing for a trip. I had to go to Target to buy travel size products and this was one of the few options they had in the travel size bottle, so I decided to give it a try. It is a nice inexpensive face wash. It has these tiny orange beads mixed into the gel and I love how they gently massage my face. It will provide a gentle exfoliation. If you are looking for something more...


 ...this is what you want! St. Ives Apricot Scrub is a cult favorite. I like the one formulated for blemished skin because my skin still thinks I am a teenager. It is heavy duty on exfoliation so use with care if you have sensitive skin.



This is currently my favorite face cream. It's oil-free and works great if you tend to break out often like me. It is very moisturizing without being heavy or greasy. I really like Clinique products.


Another item from Clinique that I am currently loving is this Pore Refining Solutions. It is great if you have an oily T-zone like me. I've been using this for two weeks now and I think it is amazing! I am so much less oily in the T-zone. It's a keeper for sure.


In regards to eye cream, this is my all time favorite one but it is on the expensive side. I think it is $30. Ouch! Sister J got me a jar for Christmas so I am a happy girl!


Because I am cheap sometimes...I use this Garnier eye cream that you can find at any drugstore or Target. It works pretty good. Just remember to be gentle when you are putting on eye cream and not tag at the skin near the eye since it is delicate.


I've also used this L'Oreal Skin Genesis eye cream before and it is another good mid range price one that you can find at the drugstore or Target.



If you are looking for a mask, Epicuren makes a good one. I purchased this Chai Soy mask after they used it on me once when I got a facial at a nice spa. It is very soothing and leaves your skin really soft. It is green in color.


I am currently in love with the Country Apple body wash from Bath and body Works. Smells like Spring to me.


That's it for now. I have a ton of beauty products that I can comment on but I will have to break them up in different segments since as I mentioned before, I have a ton of beauty products at my place.

2 comments:

Julie D said...

To those who are reading... I don't think you know the magnitude of beauty products she has. LOL

Glenn Jones said...

Good thing my wife wasn't your mom. You'd need a second job...