Monday, May 16, 2011

Tsuruhashi BBQ Restaurant - Fountain Valley, CA

The other day after my archery lesson I was hungry; it was dinnertime and this restaurant was right next door. It was an obvious choice. I went in not really knowing what to expect. I remember reading something from the OC Weekly on this place but obviously I had not really paid that much attention because this place was not what I was expecting at all. I thought it was more of an Izakaya sort of place and it was to some degree, except you had to cook your own, plus it also had a Korean influence to the menu items. It was an interesting dinner to say the least. I walked away satisfied but the bill left a bad taste in my mouth, plus I was still hungry.


There are a lot of strange offerings on the menu that most people will not be use to, such as tongue, heart, cartilage...just to name a few. It is for more adventurous eaters you could say.






Chicken Cartilage


Chicken Breast marinated in Miso.


Skirt Steak


There is something very primitive about cooking food over an open flame. I guess that is why men like to barbeque so much.



I ordered the Bibimbap in a Stone Pot as my meal. The bibimbap is composed of of a few layers. Starting at the bottom is rice, followed by cooked julienne veggies (carrots, zucchini, mushrooms), ground beef and a fried egg on top.


The bibimbap came with an Egg Flower Soup. It had a really nice flavor.


I thought I was going to eat this whole bowl myself but then the waitress asked me if I wanted her to mix everything in the bowl together for me and I said..."Yes"?


It's been awhile since I last had this dish and I had forgotten how to even eat this. After she mixed everything together, she divided it into 2 separate bowls. Yeah so I had to share. I was sad because this was so good. Tasted just like fried rice. But he did share some Skirt Steak with me so I guess I wasn't all that sad after all.


Tsuruhashi BBQ Restaurant
18798 Brookhurst Street
Fountain Valley, CA 92708-6733
(714) 593-8393

No comments: