Thursday, May 26, 2011

Maizuru Japanese Restaurant - Irvine, CA

Maizuru is one of those places I go to frequently because of proximity. At first, I didn't like the food here but somehow the quality of the food got better so I started coming here again. This is over the span of many years. They serve the same stuff that you may find at other restaurants. I took a photo of the menu because you may have seen the same menu at other Japaneses restaurants. If I had to rate this place on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the highest, I would give this place a 3.


Nothing unique about these complimentary edamames here.


I order Salmon Roe sushi pretty often and it is good here but as I mentioned before, this dish is pretty difficult to mess up. I like to snack on this with a side of pickled burdock (looks like carrots to me).



Tuna Cut Roll - sometimes I like to keep it simple.


Spicy Tuna Hand Roll - other times I like some varity.


Tako (Octopus) Sashimi - this is done well here because some places cut the octopus too thick which makes it almost impossible to eat since it is a very chewy meat. The thinner, the better when it comes to slicing octopus.


Shrimp and Vegetarian Tempura


Nabeyaki Udon - they are not much for presentation at this place. The Nabeyaki always comes out looking like this and not nicely presented like almost everywhere else I get this. This is is just okay but I order this sometimes because I am lazy to drive further for a better version.


Sharing is caring! I almost always mooch some from whoever orders this udon soup. :D


Sansei (mountatin vegetables) Udon


Chirashi - beautiful right?


Oysters on the half shell. These are 6 for $12, not a bad price. I think they use a sweet ponzu sauce or add wine to the sauce because it has this sweet taste that I am not very fond of. I like a more sour ponzu taste. The oysters were still good, they were fresh at least.


Honeymoon Roll - this is a low carb roll. Instead of being wrapped in seaweed, it is wrapped in thinly sliced cucumber and instead of rice, they use crab as the main filling. The roll also has avocado, tuna and shrimp tempura. Amazing!


Baby Lobster Roll - Craziness on a plate. This is really delicious but don't remember to share because this dish is really rich. It is basically a baby lobster roll topped with more baby lobster meat. Then drizzled with teriyaki and avocado sauce. This is obviously not a dieting dish. Ha!


Maizuru Japanese Restaurant
5623 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA
(949) 551-6802

1 comment:

Glenn Jones said...

A Japanese restaurant not worried about presentation? Huh?