Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Passionfish - Pacific Grove, CA

A couple weeks before my planned trip to Monterey, I did what any food loving person would do and spent time researching all the local eating spots that I had to make sure I hit up. This is a really helpful thing to do so that you have some sort of plan to work around. It is also an important thing to do especially if you are planning to dine at a local favorite on a weekend night. This was the case with our dinner plans this past weekend at Passionfish. The locals love this place. It was crowded and there really isn't a waiting area so it is pretty cramped in there during the busy hours. Luckily I had made reservations. Really lucky!


Passionfish specializes in sustainable, organic and environmentally friendly cooking. This means they serve up one heck of a meal without depleting the planet of it's resources in the process.


They also have an impressive collection of wine. It is no wonder the locals flock here when there is a rumble in their tummy. Passionfish has also garnered many awards along the way for their food, wine and their dedication to sustainable practices.





We started off with the Dungeness Crab Cake and Lime Relish...


...and Roasted Beet and Tangerine Salad with Mint. Great flavor combination for both these dishes. The relish was cool and spicy and went well with the crab cake which was light and crispy. This beet and tangerine salad really surprised me. It was really tasty and who knew that mint would add so much to this party? I think Sister K mentioned that you could probably build a pretty spectacular meal by just ordering all the Appetizers. I agreed!


Crispy Tilipia - the person who ordered this dish is not a fish lover and was hesitant to even order it but ended up cleaning this plate like I've never seen.


This is Sister K's Rainbow Trout and it was so flavorful and buttery.


I ordered the Duck Confit with Braised Fennel and a Chili Sweet Potato Cake. The meat was so tender it fell off the bone. I'm not a huge fan of fennel but the way they cooked it here was amazing. And that sweet potato cake just tied the dish together. An excellent dish!


Ginger Ginseng Tea



Chocolate Truffle Torte


Banana Bread Pudding - I have to admit that I've had better bread pudding. This was not one of their strong points but the others seem to like their dessert just fine.


Chamomile Creme Brulee


Passionfish
701 Lighthouse Avenue
Pacific Grove, CA 93950-2501
(831) 655-3311

No comments: