Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Zapatista (Cuisines of Mexico) - Chicago, IL

This review is a little behind schedule but here it is. Last October when I was in Chicago to run the marathon, a group of us went to Zapatista for dinner the first evening we were there. After we landed at O'hare, we took a train to our hotel to drop off our luggage. Then we all boarded a bus to the expo to pick up our race packets. After wards, we took the bus back to our hotel and decided to walk around the area to find a place to have dinner. As you can imagine with some many other people in town running the marathon, dinner reservations were hard to come by.

We originally went into Gioco (Italian) and put our names down for a reservation but then we noticed Zapatista across the street and the wait time there was a bit shorter. So that is how we ended up eating at Zapatista. Eating a Mexican meal the night before running a marathon is not something I do often or have ever done by the way. Luckily I did not encounter any major stomach issues the next day. Not sure when I will be back in Chicago or if I will ever end up back here so I am glad I got to eat here.



Zapatista is named after Emiliano Zapata (1879-1919), a prominent figure in the Mexican Revolution.


I forgot to take photos of the margaritas and bloody marys that were consumed but they were tasty. We started with this crab and shrimp creviche. It was good, just not the best I've ever had.


I ordered the steak fajitas, which came out in this sizzling stone bowl. It looks almost prehistoric in this photo. It looked like that in real time too, lol. I've never had fajitas served this way before so it was kind of neat. The fajitas itself was good. Nothing extraordinary about it but I do remember that I enjoyed it.


This came with the fajitas order: Black beans and Spanish rice with sour cream, pico de gallo and some shredded lettuce.


Zapatista (Cuisines of Mexico)
1307 South Wabash Avenue
Chicago, IL
(312) 435-1307

No comments: