Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Veggie Grill - So Much More Than Veggies!

I've toyed with the idea of becoming vegetarian a couple of times in my life. Mainly starting from my mid twenties to now. A couple of years ago, I did manage to eat a vegetarian diet for a little bit shy of a year, like 11.5 months! :o) I still remember the day I fell off the vegetarian wagon. I was at a BBQ and the smell of meat was just too much and so I had a piece and realized that I needed a little bit of meat in my life. I'm sure my mommy was happy about this at the time because she was really concerned that I was not eating any meat. I don't regret that day one bit. While I was disappointed that I was not able to stick to something, I was happy to re-introduce a little bit of meat back into my life. To this day, I have not gone back to being a vegetarian because my body just feels more normal and nourished just by eating a little bit of meat in a mostly vegetable based diet. After many years of trying different diets and styles of eating, I'm finally starting to realize portion control and moderation is what works best for me. Thanks largely in part to my mom and Sister S who have told me this many times over the years but I never listened because I was always looking for the latest and greatest way to health and weight management. Don't get me wrong, I still love to eat at places like Native Foods, 118 Degrees (Raw Restaurant) and this place here...The Veggie Grill! They have a couple of locations. See their website for the one closest to you.


The Veggie Grill Menu.


Various beverages, including beer!


Soup of the Day


I ordered something to go one time.


It was this Grillin' Chickin', normally served on a whole wheat bun but I ordered it over a bed of steamed kale with a side of chili beans. That's not really a "side" per say, more like a sample because that thing was small!


I came back on another visit and sat outside since it was such a beautiful day. I love the patio area.


This is the Chop-Chop Chef Salad. This salad is pretty tasty. I really like the spicy and creamy dressing. I didn't really care for the tempeh but then again I've never been a tempeh fan. Their faux chicken on the other hand is pretty good. Especially if you get any dish with the Crispy Chicken. Taste just like the real thing.


Vegan Carrot Cake? Umm, yes please! Just one word. YUM! In capital letters.


Vegan Chocolate Pudding. I haven't had pudding in a really long time because of my lactose intolerance. This was a little sweeter than what I would have liked but it made me really happy to eat it again. My dad use to buy those little pudding cups for me and my sisters when we were little and eating this always reminds me of my childhood. It is really creamy too and no high fructose corn syrup. So good!


My favorite...the Crispy Chickin Sandwich! It comes with a side of slaw or chili. The sides are really small. Sometime I get it with a side of kale or soup (for an extra cost).


This is the same Crispy Chicken Sandwich except in a wrap with a side of chili.


The Soup and Salad combo - Chop Chop Chef Salad and the Tortilla Soup.


Chickin Noodle Soup

No comments: