Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Asian Tapas - Irvine, CA

We were headed to The Counter for dinner last Friday night but if you live in the OC, you know that trying to get into a restaurant for dinner on Friday or Saturday night is just a pain in the butt. Just as expected, there was a 45 minutes wait at The Counter. So instead of driving elsewhere to eat, we just walked a couple stores over to Asian Tapas. We had never been here before and sure enough, I had forgotten my camera at home so this review will be filled with iPhone photos. I don't think my dining companion was in the mood for Asian food but we made the best of it.

Asian Tapas has a pretty large menu so it took us a while to figure out what we wanted. I believe they specialize in Taiwanese food. Dining companion decided to just order a couple of appetizers and soup to try things out. I asked the manager what she recommended or what the restaurant was known for but she was really caught up in trying to help me find something tame it seems. I guess she must get a whole lot of people coming in there not knowing anything about Taiwanese food. When I ordered the Hainan Chicken, they kept asking if I knew that there would be bones in the chicken. Well...yeah! I must say that servers here are really attentive. They came our table numerous times asking if we were ready to order and then came back some more to ask how things were. They were fine. But it takes more than "just fine" to get me to come back to a place so we shall see.

Egg Drop Soup (serves 2) $4.49 - this was okay. It wasn't bad but I'm just not a huge egg drop soup fan.


Chicken Wings $3.99


Green Scallion Pancakes $2.99 - these were pretty good. They are like Asian green onion tortillas if you will. The browned parts are crispy and the lighter color parts are soft and chewy. I quite liked these. My mom makes these at home but I had never ordered them at a restaurant before so I wanted to try them out.


Steamed Mini Pork Buns $2.99 - this is the first time I've had this so I have nothing to compare it to but I thought they were just okay.


You dip the steam dumplings in this soy ginger sauce. The sauce was tasty.


Hainan Chicken with Rice $8.99 - I don't think I've ever ordered this dish at a restaurant before either. My parents make this at home and I think theirs' is better than this by leaps and bounds. I am going to have to give this a "meh".


There is a Trader Joe's across from this restaurant, so of course I had to go in. I tested out the camera on the iPhone by taking pictures of the floral area. It isn't bad but not great either.




Asian Tapas
6380 Irvine Boulevard
Irvine, CA 92620
(949) 651-8999

No comments: