Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Supplements

Note: This post is about Supplements. Namely the supplements that I use because of what I demand of my body during training. I am not advocating these supplements, just sharing information based on my usage. I am not a licensed anything and am just sharing my thoughts. Do your research and talk to a health professional before using any sort of supplements. I've been using this stuff for many years and have done my research and talked to lots of people. Through trial and error, I've found what works for me but it isn't for everyone.

I've been taking supplements since I was in college. Back then it was just the essentials, like a multi-vitamin and fish oil. Later on when I became lactose intolerant I started taking calcium as well. When I started running marathons, I added Glucosamine to the mix to help maintain my joint functions. These are pretty basic and most active people probably already use these.


I think I've mentioned this before but I have UC (Ulcerative Colitis). I've had it for many years now and have learned to deal with it while still maintaining an active life. Curcumin (essentially Turmeric) was recommended to me by my GI for it's anti-inflammatory properties but I've discovered that it also helps with any bodily inflammations including those caused by running/sports. Curcumin is a member of the ginger family and if you eat Indian food regularly, you are already ahead of the game.


BioSil - this is essentially collagen. I take this for hair, nail and skin but it also promotes healthy bones and joints and I always worry about that since I cannot consume dairy.


Wellness Formula - this stuff is amazing. Well, I like it! It helps to strengthen your immunity against getting colds and such. If you have already caught something, this can help you get over it more quickly. I work out a lot and use to always get sick because my immune system was weak from training and I shared a gym with a ton of people. It's weird but I can actually feel a difference since taking this. This stuff smells and taste really bad so you need to take it with a big glass of water.


Glutamine - an abundant animo acid produce naturally by the body. However intensive athletic training requires supplementation as it has healing properties that can assist with maintaining lean muscle mass. This is the stuff that enables me to train hard everyday. It also helps speeds the recovery process related to muscle soreness from marathon running, if you know what I mean. This stuff is not vegetarian.


Conjugated Linoleic Acids (CLA) - best know for it's anti-cancer properties but can also reduce the risk for Cardiovascular disease and fights inflammation. I take this stuff because it helps with body weight management, reduces body fat and increases lean muscle mass when taken as a part of a healthy lifestyle. This stuff is not vegetarian.


I take a couple more things on and off but maybe I will save that for another post. I am always reading up on herbs and supplements because they fascinate me. We all need a little help sometimes and this is especially true when you demand a lot of your body. I also supplement because I feel that I am not able to eat all my nutrients in a given day. I try!

No comments: