Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Birds Eye Steamfresh Chef's Favorites

If you are like me and spend most of your waking hours at work day in and day out then I know that you probably appreciate anything that will help make your life easier. Especially when it comes to making dinner after said long day at work. I know I do! Recently, Birds Eye sent me these not-in-store-yet Steamfresh Chef's Favorite side dishes. Although I'm sure you can probably eat this as the main course if you choose. I received 4 different kinds, they were all lightly sauced and vegetarian.

Mushroom and Green Bean Risotto


Roasted Red Potatoes and Green Beans


Primavera Vegetable Risotto. I also received a bag of Creamed Spinach (not pictured)


These are really convenient to prepare. I'm embarrassed to even say how easy it was. Step 1, take out of the freezer. Step 2, put in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Step 3, pour out of bag. Step 4, eat!


You don't even have to do anything to the bag. The bag has built in vents that create a perfect steaming environment. The bag will puff up as it fills with steam and cooks the frozen food inside. It is genius!


I'm smiling because I didn't have to spend too much time slaving away in the kitchen.


For this post, I "prepared" the Mushroom and Green Bean Risotto and Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans.


So what did I think of these sides? Well, turns out that sometimes convenience has it trade-offs and in this case it was taste. For the most part, I was not able to consume too much of this because they were all "lightly sauced" which translate to "made with dairy" and I'm lactose intolerant. Aside from that aspect, these were also not seasoned very well. The risotto had a weird taste that I cannot put my finger on. As I mentioned before, I don't have much time to prep dinner every night so I'm no stranger to frozen meals or sides but I just didn't like these. And to be fair I guess I normally make my side dishes from scratch because it is not that hard and fresh ingredients almost always taste better than something that has been frozen. I wanted to like these because they are so easy to prepare but at the end of the day if it doesn't taste good than I'm probably not going to eat it.


Note: I received these Birds Eye Chef's Favorites as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program.

No comments: