Wednesday, April 27, 2011

NYC Marathon Lottery Let-Down

You can probably deduce from this post title that I didn't get selected to run the NYC Marathon this year. I've actually been anticipating the lottery for a few days now and after some initial craziness on the NYC Marathon Facebook page this morning at 9am PST (noon EST), the selected names were finally posted up after half an hour of commentating at the Marathon Opening Day ceremony. "Not Selected" was what I saw next to my name.

To be honest I am a little bit relived that I didn't get selected because I had actually signed up for the Santa Barbara Marathon the weekend after. So I guess it all worked out in the end. I said I am a little bit relived but I am A LOT disappointed. After all that was said and done, I didn't get in! WTH? What a long and torturous registration journey this has turned out to be. I don't know if I had even posted about this but last November, I actually took part in the clown act that NYRR came up with to allow I think 50 or 100 people a chance at a guaranteed spot. All you had to do was sign-up and pay $10 for this "chance", promise them that you are good for the actual reg fee of something close to ~$200, take a photo of yourself with an item from one of their sponsors along with your reg number and then post it on your Facebook page so that all your friends and family can make fun of you. Yeah, I did all this...while on a business trip...timed my break to align with the reg window so that I can run up to my hotel room to take said embarrassing photo and then run back down to meeting. And still I didn't get in. Good grief man! And even after all this, you know that I will likely try again next year. At least now I am $200 richer and my November weekends have clear up a bit. :D

No comments: