Friday, April 29, 2011

The Colton Inn - Monterey, CA

So this is a first for me. Doing a hotel review that is. This place was so charming that I thought that I would get the ball rolling with this review. The Colton Inn in Monterey was the hotel I stayed at when I was in town to run the Big Sur Marathon. I went on Yelp and after doing some reading, I found this simple and inexpensive inn. This place is located about a mile from the wharf and you can walk to shops and restaurants but it is nice to have a car when you are here so that you can drive around to different parts of Monterey and into Big Sur.


This is the front office where you go to check in.



The room itself is older and the beds are not as comfortable as I would've liked but the fireplace in the room and the patio out back makes up for it. The wind in this area can get pretty strong and you can hear the wind howl inside the room, pretty loudly at times.


Plus everything was clean which is important to me.





But the nicest part about this inn is the continental breakfast they offer. For the rate I paid, which is competitive in this area, I wasn't expecting a whole lot from the breakfast but they had a really nice selection of baked goods, cereals, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal and beverages.








But the one thing that makes this place stand out above the rest, at least for me, was that they were so nice to us runners who had come to town to run the marathon. The night before the race, they set out all the breakfast food for the runners at 8pm since they would not be open until 6am the next morning, at which point we would have already left for the starting line. It was so nice to grab a cup of joe and a bagel and PB the night before for the morning. There is a microwave and pretty large refrigerator in the room to heat up said coffee and store cold things. This really was what made this place so cozy and left such a good impression in my mind. You can say that I'm a fan!


The Colton Inn
707 Pacific St
Monterey, CA 93940
(831) 649-6500

No comments: