Thursday, January 14, 2010

Greens Cafe - Vegan Restaurant - Irvine, CA

EDIT: This restaurant is no longer in business.

This is an older post that I am revising. Original date of visit to this restaurant was January 14, 2010. Unfortunately, I have not been back since. No particular reason really. I've just not had the chance.

[edit]
So yesterday out of the blue, my Honey asked if I wanted to go have dinner at Greens Cafe, a local vegan restaurant with Asian inspired dishes. I've seen countless coupons in my mailbox and even a flyer with 50% off during their Grand Opening week, yet I didn't go because I didn't think my Honey would be into this type of food. So when he asked about it last night, I jumped at the chance to try it but wouldn't you know, the one time that I needed a coupon to this pace, I could not find one. Go figure! So we headed to this place with fear and trepidation, ok not me so much, maybe just him. Not sure why I was feeling this way since I've gone vegetarian for a whole year before. Anyways, the inside was really clean and there was just one other table in use when we walked in. The location use to be occupied by Genki Living (a snack shop) but that's another review. I remember thinking to myself that maybe the food was bad since there were not too many customers in there when we walked in. 

After looking at the menu for a long time, I decided on the bamboo shoot and faux meat strip dish w/ a side of brown rice and my Honey ordered gyozas and a garden pizza. The food was good, even my meat eating Honey liked it, which is saying a lot. My bamboo/faux meat dish reminded me of something my mom makes, which is a good thing. The brown rice had some red rice mixed in as well, which made for some nice contrast. When we first walked in, we saw they had vegan desserts in a display case so we were don't curious to try some. We shared a slice of  vegan cheesecake and a slice of mocha cake. They were both great considering they were dairy-free. The cheesecake was not as creamy as regular cheesecake but the mocha cake was really good. Overall, this place was yummy except for the high price tag. After this great experience I was thinking of doing a review of Native Foods and Veggie Grill. I've never been to Native Foods but I've been to the Veggie Grill a couple of times and they have some yummy food. Just so expensive...why??




Greens Cafe
15435 Jeffrey Rd. #110
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 653-1241

No comments: