Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hood to Coast Movie Review

Note: Movie Review is all the way at the bottom of this post.

So last night, I went to the showing of the Hood to Coast movie. But prior to the movie, I decided to grab some dinner at a nearby restaurant that I had only been to once a long time ago. I don't remember liking it too much but I thought that I would give it another chance. Izakaya is a mix of Kappa style food with some traditional offerings and some fusion dishes. I don't really like places that serves fusion anything. I am more of a traditionalist so I didn't really like this place that much. Also, we didn't really order that much and it was a slow night but somehow they managed to forget to bring me one of the things that I had ordered and then tried to charge me for it. I didn't like this place much but my companion did, so I might get dragged back here again. Sad!


Yellowtail w/ ponzu sauce topped with a slice of Jalapeno

Shoyu ramen - this was not as bad as I had thought it would be. I guess that is not the best review but the noodle was al dente, broth was gross.

I can only describe this as BBQ hot dogs on a stick. Gross.

Seaweed cucumber salad - I've had better.

BBQ Chicken Wings - I didn't have any of this but that's because it didn't even look good to me.
Izakaya Wasa
59 Fortune Drive
Irvine, CA
(949) 453-9500

We finish dinner early and decided to go into the theater and get some snacks and find a good seat. When we walk into the room where the movie was to be shown, we realized that we were too early as we were the first ones there and they had not even cleaned up the trash from the previous movie. Oops! We decided to to just find some seats and relax until the start of the movie. As the start of the movie got closer, more and more people started to fill the room and it ended up being pretty packed in there. The sound system was acting up. It distracted me the entire time. I wonder if I was the only one that noticed it. It was skipping every 5 seconds. I was about to get up and complain but did not want to miss any part of the movie.

MOVIE REVIEW 
The movie itself was interesting to me because I had just done a running team relay event last year. I was able to relate and found the movie to be entertaining. Not hanging by the edge of my seat entertaining but it was decent. I yawned a couple of times. Maybe because I had a long day at work or maybe the movie was not that action filled. We will never know. My movie companion who is not a runner was not as interested. He commented that it was not as good as the Spirit of the Marathon. Not sure if you could really compare the two but what do I know.

Hood to Coast highlights and follows 4 teams of runners of various speeds and background as they prepare and then take part in the Hood to Coast relay. The movie introduces the audience to each of the 4 teams. Then follows a couple of key members of each team around and captures their feelings and emotions as they get closer to the event. We get to follow them on race day as they journey through 197 miles of some of Oregon's most amazing landscapes and terrains. There are some funny characters in this movie. Overall, they did a good job at capturing the overall feeling of doing one of these events. They did not try to make it more than what it is. In the end, these relay events are uncomfortable and can be tough at times but it is an amazing experience and a really fun time.

No comments: