Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Farmers Market @The Great Park (OC)

So as I mentioned in a previous post, I visited the Farmers Market at the Great Park this past Sunday for the first time. The Farmers Market is open every Sunday rain or shine (I believe) and they have only been operating since the start of summer I believe. They are opened from 10-2pm. You will need to visit their website for the exact location if you are not from the area because there is currently not a physical address since the park is still being built. Various food trucks also gather there on Sunday to provide you with breakfast, brunch or a snack break from the shopping. I had not gone until now because I had not made a point to do so but I love Farmers Markets and since Sister K was in town, I thought it would be a good time to go and check it out. This post will be part 1 of 3 as it is rather long. This post focuses primarily on the Farmers Market. Post 2 will be about the Farm & Food Lab and Post 3 will be on the balloon ride.

Plenty of parking. The sky looks threatening but the sun came out shortly after I took this photo.

There were a decent amount of stalls but they were mainly selling things like nuts, honey, cooking oils/vinegar, soups, meats, bakery items, etc. There were only a couple of stalls actually selling produce. I was disappointed. This Farmers Market is no where near the same level as the one by UCI on Saturday (8-12pm).

Goat cheese samples.

Macarons!
Pecan tartlets, seriously, what's not to like?


Cupcake pops!
Food trucks!

Roasted peanuts!
You can bring your doggy here!
Porta-potties that actually flushes and had a sink inside. I forgot to take a photo of all the water dispensers they had throughout the park. They really take care of their visitors.
I believe the Irvine Company moved this carousel from Fashion Island during the remodeling to here.

There is a very interesting story on how the Great Park was established on the website but perhaps in my next post I try to remember some of the highlights of how this amazing park came into existence. I've lived in Orange County for a while and have seen all the politics that surrounds the decision to transform this once military base into what will sure be an amazing place once completed.

1 comment:

Glenn Jones said...

You answered my question. I like the one at UCI.