Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Roquefort Cheese

I've been eating quite a bit of roquefort cheese lately so I thought I would post some info on it. I remember my first encounter with this cheese was when I was in my early 20s. I remember going to the market with a friend of mine and getting schooled on cheese appreciation. I think to this day my love/hate of cheese came from my early encounter and knowledge of it. I can say that I love most cheeses. I especially love what people call "stinky" cheeses. I love the full body complex flavor and it always makes me feel like I am having a special meal if I have a little bit with my food. One of my favorite stinky cheese is roquefort from French. To say that I adore this cheese would be the understatement of the century. When I eat this cheese it takes me to another time and place and turns any old salad into something amazing. Despite the fact that I am lactose intolerant, I can eat a little bit of aged goat's cheese and some aged cow's cheese. I can only have a little bit but it is a little bit of heaven. I found the below link on the different varieties of Roquefort and some info on this amazing cheese. Roquefort was in the news recently because the Bush Administration had imposed a 300% tax on this cheese. Yeah, that makes me mad! I still eat it when I can find it and I am a hound when it comes to Roquefort. I love it in salads, with preserves, fruits, some nuts. It is just good eats!

No comments: