Monday, September 14, 2009

2009 Nautica Triathlon Olympic Distance (Relay Race) - Race Recap

Date: September 12, 2009
Location: Zuma Beach, Malibu CA
Finish: 10K - 50:11

This past Saturday a couple of teams from my company went out to Malibu to compete in the Nautica Triathlon Olympic distance relay race. It was such a great time. Special thanks to Sister K for being my cheering section at this event. Sister K was so nice to accompany me on this trip and she really kept my spirits up. She is such a trooper to wake up at 4:30am and go with me to the starting area at Zuma beach even before the sun is out. Our team did ok but we could definitely improve. I did my 6.2 mile run in 50:11, missed a PR by a couple of seconds. I am not happy about it as I had wanted to come in under 50. I actually feel very disappointed in my performance but I had so much fun doing this that the time is secondary to the experience. Lots of crazy things happened out on the course. The weather was really nice. It was cool in the morning but not cold and it was overcast the entire time of the event. It was ideal. The event really inspired alot of people who had never been a part of an event like this. This is speaking for myself as well as I had always wanted to witness a tri race. I hope one day that I can do one of these all by myself. One day! It was just amazing. I hope we get to do this again next year.


We arrived at Zuma Beach on a Friday afternoon to pick up out bibs and goodie bag.


We checked out the course maps.


I checked out the starting line for the running portion.


Here I am on race morning. Too early even for me.


The swimmers started around 7:30am for our division. Then our relay biker took off. I didn't end up running until almost about 10am.


Seriously, I think I was cross-eyed in all my running photos for this race. I think my sister also caught me in a photo with my eyes crossed..haha.

Here I am crossing the finish line for our team. That clock time is incorrect for our team since that clock is based on when the first wave of swimmers departed.


I got to keep the Nautica tri medal at the end of the relay since I was the runner. How would I share this medal with my other teammates...ahhh another reason why I need to just get my own next year...haha.


The male and female Olympic distance winners. I believe they are husband and wife. Such a fit family!


Everyone from our corporate team was invited to a catered champagne brunch at a nearby restaurant. 




The food was okay.