Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ton-Chan - Tokyo Tonkotsu Ramen - Alhambra (closed)

A month ago when we got back from Vegas, I told Sister S and K that I wanted some ramen and that we should go to the local ramen place to get some. At which, they informed me the ramen restaurant, Ajiman's, was no longer in business. Instead another ramen restaurant had taken it's place when the previous owner decided to retire. I was sad that Ajiman's was no longer there and nervous about trying out the new place. I don't know why I have such "new restaurant" anxieties. Maybe I am afraid they are going to poison me or that I may end up ordering the wrong thing and have ordering regrets.

But on that day, we were hungry so we decided to go and check it out. The new ramen place is called Ton-Chan and it serves tonkotsu style ramen, very similar to what Shin Sen Gumi Hakata offers. But it is much better. It is located in the same plaza as Golden Deli.


They have different levels of spiciness to choose from.


You get to customize exactly what you want in your ramen, just like Shin Sen Gumi. 


The interior for the most part has remained the same. If you look closely, you will see the sign that says Cash Only.



This is the Tonkotsu Shoyu Ramen. I selected to add sprouts, spinach and seaweed. The noodles are chewy and very good and the broth was actually flavorful. This was a surprisingly good bowl of ramen. After my disappointment at Shin Shen Gumi, I've been afraid to eat anywhere besides Santouka. This was a very large bowl of ramen for $8.25.


Sliced pork that came on the side. 


And since they just recently opened, they gave us this free order of gyozas which we took home because we were already so full from the large bowl of noodles. In fact, they also gave us free dessert, mango pudding. The sisters told me the mango pudding was tasty. I forgot to take a photo.


Ton-Chan - Tokyo Tonkotsu Ramen
821 W. Las Tunas Drive
San Gabriel, CA91776
(626) 282-3478

No comments: