Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend - things I did aside from the Laguna Hills 1/2 Marathon

So it is Tuesday today and even though I didn't feel sore yesterday, I sure am feeling it today. I guess it has been a long while since I've been sore enough to feel it. I decided against going into the gym this morning. Yes I had planned to go in but mostly to stretch out, use the foam roller, do some abs and maybe some arms but when I woke up this morning, I felt how sore I was and decided to sleep in. I really need to focus on recovery this week so that I am ready to go next Sunday in San Diego. I am really excited and cannot wait to get down there.

It was so nice to have a three day weekend. I started the weekend right with breakfast at the Original Pancake House and I ordered one of my favorite things there...waffles! They have the regular waffles that I love, instead of the Belgian kind. I also like the waffles at Rosco's Chicken and Waffles, but that's another story. I also ordered a side of corned beef hash which turned out to be a very large side order. It was just ok. Strangely enough they have some really good oatmeal here, even though I didn't order any this time around.


The Friday before the Memorial Day weekend, I decided that I wanted ramen for lunch so I headed over to Santouka. That place is just crowded. It just seems to get more and more crowded every year. So I was sitting there in the food count eating my ramen when I noticed that the area where Maestro's use to be was occupied by some either new or squatting ramen establishment. I didn't think anything of this until I got back to the office and Googled it up. Turns out that a popular ramen chef from NY (Ippudo Ramen) was in town for only 4 days serving up his famous ramen. So you know that I had to go back and get me some. So I did just that. I went back on Saturday and got in line to try this famous ramen. There I sat with my piping hot ramen and I gotta say that it was not as good as I had hoped. The broth was not that flavorful and I didn't care for the thin noodle. The sliced pork on the other hand was amazing but not good enough to save this bowl of noodles. In fact, I think Santouka is so much better. I am glad that I can get a bowl of Santouka whenever I want. I would be pretty sad if they were just visiting. Here's a different perceptive on this ramen.


The Mitsuwa Market Food Festival was also happening this past weekend. I've somehow accidently managed to catch the last two food festivals and I love the different foods they sell during the festival and there is always something new and different. I ended up buying a box of Takoyaki (little batter balls with octopus in the center) and some sort of baked sweet potato dessert concoction. I liked those! I did not like the Takoyaki, it was pretty gross. It had a really strong ginger flavor which I do not care for and they put so much of the heavy sauce on it that it was really soggy and nasty. I will never get this again from this vendor.

2 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

Well - you certainly had a beter food weekend than I did! Original Pancake House? The inne in Laguna Niguel or is there one close to us?

The Laguna Hills 1/2 was a last minute decision. I wasn't going to run it, and in retrospect, probably shouldn't have. It was still a great day for a run through the hills!

ilovesteaks said...

wow, don't know too many people that like corned beef hash! I love that stuff. My dog goes nuts whenever I make it. I wanted so badly to get into the NYC Marathon again this year just to eat ramen and GO GO Curry. They really should open one up here since Matsui now plays for the Angels! I don't like too much ginger either. I only like it when I'm eating sushi.

Which corral are you in for SD? I'll be in corral 5.