Wednesday, June 30, 2010

118 Degrees - Restaurant Review

If you are ever in the Costa Mesa area and are looking for some healthy eats, you should go and check out 118 Degrees located at The Camp. I don't know how to describe The Camp, except to say that it is like a hippy hangout shopping compound. There is a Bikram studio, Native Foods, a bike shop, salon and some neat stores. Needless to say, I liked this place. I first came here many years ago when I was still in college. I remember I had dinner at a vegetarian restaurant here that I no longer see called the Gypsy Den.

Anyways, I had lunch at 118 Degrees, a raw restaurant with extraordinary food. I could not believe that it was vegan and raw. It was one of the best meals I've had in a long time. A meal so good, I had to blog about it. I ordered the Pre-Fixe Lunch for $10 and got a berry salad, tostada and caramel cheesecake. The pre-fixe menu changes often and this was what was offered today. I love the use of nut butter, nut cheeses and the way they marinate the veggies. Everything was well balanced, texture, flavor, seasoning, but most importantly it was delicious. This was my first raw restaurant meal and I was really impressed by the creativity of the chef. I didn't know what to expect when I walked in but I was so pleasantly surprised. I'll be back soon with others! :D

Photo: Front of 118 and inside.


Photo: Large artistic structure of the word CAMP/really delicious tostada/caramel cheesecake/berry salad.


Photo: I came back another time and ordered the Baja Crisp $10, one of my favorite items here.


Photo: Yet another visit here and ordered the bento box lunch for $15.

2 comments:

Julie D said...

OMG, I'm jealous! The only raw vegan place I have been to is in Culver City called Leaf Cuisine where I had a sprouted oatmeal that was so BOMB. There's another place in Fountain Valley I want to try called Au Lac... not all raw, but some is.

Glenn Jones said...

Wow! I eat at Native Foods as often as my waistline allows. I never knew this restaurant existed! It faces Bristol in the same strip as the tattoo shop?