Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Tale of Two Peas

I've been traveling to central California quite a bit in the past two years. Sometimes it is because of  races but I have been known to travel there even when there isn't a race happening there that weekend. Yeah, just for fun. Can you imagine? Me neither but my sister tells me that it happened once.

As many times as I've been to this area, it was only on a recent trip that I finally stopped in to have some pea soup at Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton.

Buellton is a small town right next to the Danish town of Solvang. It's pea soup, it's not a big deal by any stretch of the imagination but as I have already mentioned, I visit this area quite often so I felt like it was something I had to try.


The restaurant has been around for quite some time. It looks dated but then again everything in this area looks older and Danish to me so maybe that is the way it is suppose to be. There is a store connected to the restaurant that sold everything from food to all kinds of knick-knacks.


I even found this little toy dog that reminded me of Teddy. 


Apparently, lots of people have stopped by for pea soup. Now you know. 


Pea Soup Andersen's actually had a pretty large menu that serves many other things aside from pea soup. But I came here for the pea soup and forgot to take notes of what else they serve here. I ordered the soup and sandwich combo. They were both just okay for me. 


The pea soup had a strong gingery taste and the texture was more smooth than chunky. There was something about it that didn't quite sit well with me. Maybe I was biased because this was the second time in my life that I have had split pea soup. 


The first time being the day before at the Los Olivos Wine Merchant and Cafe. The inside of this place looks a lot different than Pea Soup Andersen's.


Complete with a fancier, smaller and simpler menu. 


So what you are looking at here is the first pea soup I've ever had. Let me tell you that it was magnificent! It was everything that I had hoped pea soup would be. It was not too salty. It is chunkier than your standard pea soup making it a heartier meal but in the best way possible. It also had small pieces of ham hock in there that really made this soup a meal for me. So this place spoiled me and now I can never go back to just any old regular pea soup.


I also ordered this Grilled Flat-bread appetizer with tapenade, hummus and muffaletta. Muffaletta is a spread made by blending together black and green olives, capers, celery, red bell pepper, garlic and olive oil. So good!


Do you like pea soup? Are there other awesome soups out there that I don't know about. If so, please tell me!


Los Olivos Wine Merchant and Cafe
2879 Grand Ave
Los Olivos, CA 93441
805-688-7265

Pea Soup Andersen's Restaurant
376 Avenue of the Flags
Buellton, CA 93427
805-688-5581

No comments: