Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hawaiian Bread French Toast

I set my alarm for 7am last night with the intention of going out for a run this morning but somehow I ended up going back to bed. I'm not too worried as I will likely get a run in tomorrow for sure. Plus this is taper week!

When I finally got up this morning, breakfast was the matter at hand so I quickly went online to look for a simple french toast recipe. I found a recipe for Alton Brown's french toast. This recipe has close to 500 positive reviews AND it was super easy. You only need a couple of ingredients. I had to try it. Had to. Alton suggested using either challah or brioche for this recipe but I didn't have any on hand and neither did the local Ralph's market. For a moment, I thought about just buying a box of Eggo waffles and calling it a day. Then I saw this...


...sweet Hawaiian bread to the rescue! I separated the two halves of the bun and then used a knife to cut off some of the outer crust so that it would absorb the batter better.


About to go in the oven to get crispy.


Overall, I think the Hawaiian bread was a good substitute. Good to know in the event that you cannot find challah or brioche. The Hawaiian bread is a tiny bit sweeter than the recommended breads but I thought it made the dish better. Also, I baked these in the oven for 10 minutes instead of 5. I think I could have left them in there another 5 minutes to make them crispier on the outside. This is also the first time I made a french toast batter with half and half. The batter was custard-like due to the use of 3 eggs in this recipe. The final product was crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. Make this!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should definitely bring these to the next Ragnar meetup OMG!!!

Madison said...

Prettyfittie: You know I'll hook you ladies up!

Glenn Jones said...

I usually use a regular loaf of King's Hawaiian bread and a pinch of cinnamon too!