Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Doggy Dental Care

I recently took Teddy in for a dental cleaning at the vet. I'm talking about some serious deep cleaning here. The kind that required anesthesia. I was so worried! I've heard so many scary stories about putting your pet under for medical procedures. I guess that was one of the reasons I've waited so long to schedule this appointment for him. Looking back, that was very selfish on my part.

I am a believer in maintenance care so I've been taking Teddy to the Gentle Dental lady (anesthesia-free dental cleaning for pets) for a couple of years now. On his last visit, she informed me that she noticed some dental decay and that I should take him in immediately for some deep cleaning. His breathe was terrible. I should have taken that sign more seriously but I didn't because for as long as I can remember, he has always had bad doggy breathe. I just thought that it was just something he had. Turns out that he had a very badly decaying tooth which was the cause of said bad breathe. The vet told me that there was a lot of food debris along with hair/fur logged in the tooth. Basically it was a really bad cavity. My poor baby! He also had a loose tooth that was about to fall out. So during the course of his dental deep cleaning, the vet did two extractions and thoroughly cleaned all the plaque and tarter under his gum line. 

When I went to pick him up at the end of the day, he was still a bit woozy but he was like a new pup. His breathe smelled clean and his teeth were so white. The vet sent me home with some antibiotic drops and some pain killer drops. It's been a couple of days now and he is back to his normal playful self. I am still feeling bad that I had not taken him in sooner and that he had to live with a sore tooth for so long. This sounds silly but I wish that someone would invent a way for pets to communicate. They just suffer in silence.


In an effort to be more diligent with Teddy's dental care, I found this oral hygiene solution at the vet office when I dropped Teddy off for his dental appointment. It is a tasteless and odorless solution that you put a couple of drops of into their water bowl. This solutions helps eliminate breathe odor, deter plaque and tarter buildup. I am also going to start trying to brush his teeth again. He hates it! I don't exactly love it myself but it needs to be done.


Prior to his dental deep cleaning, the Gentle Dental lady recommended this Oral Spray for Teddy which I was using on him at night before he went to bed. I will continue to use this spray, along with brushing a couple times a week and the oral hygiene solution. Don't be like me...take care of your pets' teeth so that they can live a long and happy life.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your pup is SO cute. I will def do tights for R&R vegas... I hate being cold! I'm certainly buying a fleece earwarmer headband as well! ;-)