Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Javier's - My Favorite Mexican Restaurant - Irvine, CA

I grew up in a mostly Hispanic populated area and started eating Mexican food from a very young age. I was introduced to Mexican cuisine when I started elementary school. All throughout junior high and high school, I ate a whole lot of Mexican food. Mostly at school because at home, my parents cooked everyday and it was always Asian food. I remember my first bite of Mexican food was a breakfast burrito...well I don't know if that counts as authentic Mexican cuisine but you can be sure that I've had enough of it to know when I come upon something really good. I know some people who would say that it isn't good or authentic unless it is dripping in that orange oil or spicy enough to detonate a bomb in your mouth. I have to admit that I have not always been a big fan of Mexican food. I like it fine but it is never something I would crave. I will eat it if I am out with friends or if someone else suggests it. That is until one day I walked into Javier's and it changed the way I felt about Mexican food. To be honest, I was a little intimated to go here because this restaurant is not cheap. It is actually quite pricy for Mexican food. But I was curious to know how they could charge so much for such simple food. The moment I took my first bite of the shrimp creviche, it was like eating what you know will shortly become one of your most favorite thing for the first time. Yes it was that good to me.

Chips and salsa


Creviche de Camaron (Shrimp) - ~$14, I have never had creviche as good as these. One of my most favorite things to eat here or any place. The shrimps are marinated and 'cooked' in lime juice overnight. Amazing!


Taco Dinner: Steak Soft Tacos w/ spanish rice and Frijoles de la olla (can't remember how much these cost).


Creviche de Pulpo (Octopus) - ~$14, this is another one of my favorites at this restaurant.



Javier's - Irvine Spectrum
45 Fortune Drive
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 872-2101

1 comment:

Glenn Jones said...

I heard many good things about Javier's, but I also heard that it's a little overpriced - especially the one at Crystal Cove. I guess you've got to pay for the ocean view somehow....