Thursday, April 11, 2013

All In

T-minus 3 days until the big day! I'm flying out to Boston tomorrow! I wish my bags were already packed but they are not. I did go out for my final training run today. Nothing left to do now but enjoy the next couple of days. I'm excited to explore Boston. I use to live there a long time ago. It will be interesting to see how things have changed or remained the same. I never imagined that the next time I would be back in town would be to run the Boston Marathon.

Seven-years-old me would not be impressed since seven-years-old me use to hate running. Okay, that is not entirely true. I was a mover and a shaker but not for more than a quarter of a mile at a time. Just enough to make it from one base to the next or from one end of the field to the other. I couldn't stop moving, I just didn't get very far.

When I started running years ago, I never thought that I would ever run more than a 10K. Some years later, I remember a friend at work tried to convince me to run a half marathon...I thought she was nuts! But she lit a fire in me that day that still burns bright to this day. I think that was the day I crossed over to the crazy side where running 2-3 hours on the weekend was considered normal. It isn't normal by the way.


I can't remember when I first learned of the term "BQ". I do remember that at the time I didn't paid much attention to all the chatter about it because to be honest I never thought that I would ever be able to qualify. I attempted to qualify a couple of times but was unsuccessful by a long shot. When they lowered the qualifying time last year or maybe it was two years ago, I remember friend Darren remarking that perhaps when we get older we might be able to finally catch up to the qualifying standards if we kept up our pace. I nodded in agreement.

Then one day it happened and a month ago I got this in the mail. Frankly, I don't care what seven-years-old me thinks because present day me is jumping up and down.



1 comment:

Monika said...

Good luck tomorrow!