Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Waterfi

Running in the rain recently (CIM) reminded me to put up this post that has been sitting in my queue for quite a while now.

If you were at CIM this past weekend, I'm sure you probably had the same worries as me about your electronics getting wet during the race. I for one feared for the life of my Garmin. It's still working luckily but who knows for how long. I know many of you probably carried your cameras and phones in plastic bags. I opted to leave my phone back at my hotel room. The one item aside from my Garmin that I did bring with me to the starting line and was not worried about whatsoever was my iPod shuffle that I had ordered from Waterfi. Waterfi is a company that sells waterproof iPod shuffles, nanos and headphones. Plus if you already own these devices and want to waterproof them, Waterfi can do that as well.

I've gone through so many shuffles/iPod in the past couple of years that I should change my job title to 'Professional iPod Killer'. It's not my fault really...I mean it is but for the most part I blame my sweat. Apple's iPod devices are really sensitive to moisture of any kind and I basically use these devices primarily when I am working out. Don't most of us? I mean that's what they're made for, right? That's the reason why they are small, lightweight and has a clip on them, isn't it? Apparently moisture damage isn't covered by Apple's warranty on these devices. I've gone through about 5 shuffles/nanos in the past 2 years.

A while back I was ranting to a running friend of mine about this very issue and he told me to go and check out Waterfi. So I did just that. At first, I was a little surprise by the price for a shuffle or nano on Waterfi's site because it was higher than what I could get at the Apple store/website. What you have to remember is that the devices found on Waterfi's site have all been waterproof...as in you can wear it to swim in a pool.

Let me just tell you that getting a waterproof device was one of the best decisions I've ever made. You know why? Well, I don't need to tell you how suck-y it is to have your device stop working at mile 17 of a marathon or just not turn on at all at the starting line and be without any tunes for a long run. I was also sick of ranting like a crazy person to all my friends all the time about how my devices would only last a couple of months before they would start acting up...or worse...me getting really upset in an Apple store at some poor tech who tells me that my device once again has moisture damage and he/she has to work within warranty policies. All this madness was reason enough to justify spending a little bit more for something that would last longer because quite frankly I don't plan to stop sweating anytime soon.

So if any of what I've said rings true to you then head on over to Waterfi to check out all the products they offer. They even gave me a discount code to pass on to you to save 5% at checkout: Madison22.

***I purchased this product with my own money and was not paid to say any of these things. I'm just a regular person/runner who is sharing my thoughts on a product that I was hesitant to try at first but am glad that I did.


1 comment:

Glenn Jones said...

I sure could have used one of these about four iPods ago...