Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Legend of the Nojoqui Falls

So this is more of a story than a legend but that doesn't mean we can't make this story legendary. Ok, no it is just a story.

So just down the road from where Samuel L. Jackson buys his produce is the Nojoqui Falls Park. Just as the name would have you believe, it is a park with a waterfall about a 0.6 mile hike in. I mean up.


It's not as bad as I'm making it out to sound. It's more of a gradual incline. Plus, it is 0.6 miles of natural beauty. Plus, it is only 0.6 miles.


About 0.2 miles into the hike, Sister K and I noticed this sign. 


Upon closer inspection of the sign, we discovered that making a lot of noise while hiking reduces the chances of surprising a lion. Wait, what? No one said anything about mountain lions. I want my money back. Oh yeah, this was free. Surprising anything that you can't out run is like at the top of the list of bad ideas for runners or it should be. 


My sister and I are pretty soft spoken people so we felt that it would probably be safer to just play some music on my iPhone while we hiked. She tells me to select Gotye's Somebody That I Use To Know. So I did. So that was the day we used Gotye to scare off the mountain lion while hiking to Nojoqui Falls. I can't make this stuff up.


What the heck? No one said anything about stair climbing.


So we finally make it to the falls. It was pretty dry there that day but still pretty cool. This fall is seasonal so depending on the weather/season when you come to visit will determine the amount of water flow of the falls. This fall is unique in that instead of eroding the side of the cliff it is actually building outward.


And just so you don't show up and think that this is a massive waterfall and accuse me of false advertising, here I am next to it for size comparison.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your pictures! Even the one of the stairs, though it made me quite tired.
So are you going to do that fun 5k in a few weeks??? It's going to be awesome...