Friday, April 13, 2012

Of Running Shoes and Chocolate Cake!

You either clicked over here because of running shoes or chocolate cake. Don't worry, I won't disappoint you but first I just wanted to say "Ay chihuahua"! Yeah, it's been that kind of month. Busy, crazy, like a chicken with it's head chopped off. Maybe I should say something like "Great Dane" instead of something about a chihuahua. My blogging has definitely taken a big hit but I promise you that you will be hearing a lot more from me. For example, by this time next week, I will be running the 2012 SoCal Ragnar Relay and I will have a lot of down time so I will be all over the social media front. The weekend after, I will be headed up to Monterey for the Big Sur Marathon! Lots of exciting running stuff coming up. I also have a ton of restaurant reviews that I've not had time to write up but I did take some drool worthy photos so look forward to that as well.

Ok, first up...running shoes! I didn't mention this or better yet I hadn't had time to mention about this until now but I hurt my lower back a couple of weeks ago doing cross-fit. I've hurt my back before from doing HIIT but this was a first for cross-fit related injuries. Being the hypochondriac that I am, I went to see a chiropractor to make sure that it was not something really serious. It turns out that I have a subluxation (commonly referred to as a "pinched nerve") of the L5 region of my spine. So not super bad news but I have been put on a correction program to realign my spine. I'm not new to chiropractics. I've had problems with my sciatica and my back before as I mentioned above and chiropractics has brought me a lot of relief. Anyhow, after my recent chiropractic evaluation my chiropractor informed me that I have a serious pronation problem and that I am majorly flat-footed. I always thought that I had a normal arch with moderate pronation.

So I went to see this guy and told him of my pronation, flat-footed woes and he came back with these...


...no not that bright yellow pair but these! ASICS GEL Kayano 18! They fit nice. I miss me some stability cushioning as of late. This is my very first pair of ASICS...like ever so I will let you know how I fair with these. They (people at the store) tell me that it is perfect for a major heel striker like myself. Man, I have all kinds of running problems.


What better way to drown my running problem sorrows than with new running shoes and chocolate cake? There are no better ways. Have you ever tried the Killer Chocolate cake from French's Bakery in Costa Mesa? No? What the heck are you waiting for? It is *the* best chocolate cake I've ever had and I am not even a chocolate cake fan. I know, the horror! But be warned, it is not for the faint of heart, only eat this if you want death by chocolate. It isn't called the "Killer Chocolate Cake" for no reason.


It also comes in cupcake size. You know, for when you want that close to death experience. ;)

No comments: