Thursday, April 29, 2010

CocoNUTz!

Yes, I am about to write a post on coconuts. I know some people do not like coconuts and I am not really sure why they would feel this way. Coconut to me is like coffee to some people. Yeah I can live without it but why would I?

Don't know if I have mentioned on this blog before or not, but I am lactose intolerant. It sucks nuts! I mostly cannot eat anything with dairy in it and can I just tell you how many products have dairy in it. Just about everything that tastes good and that I want to eat. Yes, it sucks! I haven't always been lactose intolerant. There was one point in my life when I drank milk with every single meal. This all stopped at around the age of 25 when I discovered that I will forever be plagued by this inability to digest lactose. At first, I didn't care, I continued to eat dairy and put up with the discomfort, but over time, it just got worse and worse and before I knew it, every time I ate something even made with dairy, I would keel over in pain. Terrible stuff, I will spare you the details.

Anyways, can I say how thrilled I am that there are now so many different subs for dairy. There is almond, soy, hemp and now coconut. I mean, I already loved coconut before because I am from S.E. Asia and lived on an island at some point in my life. My parents cook with coconut and I was surround by the stuff as a kid but did not appreciated it as much as I do now. Now...well now I am obsessed because for the first time since I was 25, I can eat what taste just like ice cream again and have cereal. Yeah, the little things in life make me so happy.

For the most part, I am writing this post because coconut water is the world's most amazing replenishment drink out on the race course. I use it exclusively now instead of sport drinks. In fact, I took a bunch of Zico and O.N.E Coconut water with on to the 2010 Ragnar Los Angeles. I also brought along some fabulous Larabar in Coconut Cream, of course. I also packed some unsalted pretzels filled with PB from Trader Joe's, and Rainforest crisps in Cranberry/Hazelnut (I will review later). I didn't snack as much as I had thought I would while running the Ragnar. For the most part, I was just tired and wanted to lie down.

So I dedicate this post to all things coconut. I have not met a coconut product I did not like.

1 comment:

Glenn Jones said...

Don't know if you knowthis - but the ability to digest lactose byond the age of 15 or 16 is actually a mutation in the human species. There is no real need for lactose past child years, so for many people, lactose intolerance increases as they age. (I'm happy to report that I am a 50 plus year old mutant. Mmmm! Ice cream anyone?)