Wednesday, October 14, 2009

2009 Long Beach Marathon - Race Recap

Date: October 11, 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA
Finish: 4:12:58

It was the most perfect day for running. Cool and overcast. I did not beat my PR. I developed a blister around mile 15 that made me cry...literally. This was the first time I trained with a running group, ICR Beach Runners. I was sick for two months during the training cycle. I had high expectations but not high hopes. I was running well until said blister reared it's ugly head. It was a noobie sock mistake. I wore new socks to a marathon. That's just plain stupid. I had done this one other time at a LA Marathon running. Basically, it was a combo of running and walking the rest of the way to the finish line from mile 15. It was slow and painful. Let's remember this lesson in the future shall we?


Sister K (thank you for waking up early, braving the cold morning and coming out to cheer me on), M and even Teddy came out to cheer me on. It was still dark when we arrived.


Teddy keeping himself warm while he waited for me to cross the finish line.


Wow, I sure did get a lot of camera time at the Long Beach Marathon. But this is one of few in which I am actually smiling while running a marathon. It's like an oxymoron! Maybe I'm the moron for running that much!



Final stretch!


Lastly, I finally finished the California Dreamin' Series and got my jacket (wearing it in the photo above with Teddy) and big ol' medal that weighs a ton and a half. I actually have time to complete the series once more before it ends next year at the Long Beach Marathon. I hear that they are dreaming up a new series and I cannot wait.


Let's hope I get a better time next race so that I can write an amazing glowing review and finally cross out some of the items on my fitness goal list.

2 comments:

Eats Durian said...

always a pleasure!
I see you chose to use my medal photo B)

RunToTheFinish said...

oh i need to see a picture of this jacket tha tyou worked so hard to earn!